Allergy Treatment Market size is forecast to reach $28.71 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 6.89% during the forecast period 2020-2025. Allergy is a condition in which the immune system reacts abnormally to a foreign substance. Increasing number of cases of allergic diseases like hay fever and anaphylaxis, increasing demand for non-prescribed OTC (over-the-counter) drugs for allergy treatment, and rapid growth of self-medication among consumers are major factors driving the growth of the market. Rising investment patterns in allergy drug development by the manufacturers and research and development of novel allergy immunotherapy (AIT) is expected to further enhance the overall Allergy Treatment Market demand during the forecast period 2020-2025. Allergy Treatment Industry Analysis is based on type, treatment, dosage, distribution channel and geography.
- North America region dominates the Allergy Treatment Market owing to increase in investments in healthcare by key market players, rising geriatric population and growth of R&D expenditure for the development of allergy treatment. The Allergy Treatment Market scope for different regions will be provided in the final report.
- Growing cases of allergic disorders, increasing demand for non-prescribed allergen drugs and increasing demand for self-medication in consumers has helped in significant growth of Allergy Treatment Market. Increasing cases of related diseases like asthma in young and old population is expected to drive industry growth during the forecast period 2020-2025.
- Detailed analysis on the Strength, Weakness and opportunities of the prominent players operating in the market will be provided in the Allergy Treatment Market report.
- Increasing competition from biosimilars market and health concerns regarding side effects of allergy drugs are anticipated to hamper the market growth of the Allergy Treatment Industry.
Type – Segment Analysis
Rhinitis Allergy held the largest share in the type segment of Allergy Treatment Market in 2019 and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 5.61% during the forecast period 2020-2025. Allergic rhinitis is triggered by breathing in tiny particles of allergens. The most common airborne allergens that cause rhinitis are dust mites, pollen and spores, and animal skin, urine and saliva. Growing prevalence of allergic rhinitis and increasing government funded healthcare programs to spread awareness about allergic diseases. Food Allergy held the second largest share in the market, owing to rise in the number of food allergies and sensitivities of people of all ages. Among food-allergic adults, 51.1% experienced a severe food allergy reaction, 45.3% were allergic to multiple foods, and 48% developed food allergies in their middle age. It is estimated that Rhinitis Allergy will be the fastest growing segment and will register a highest CAGR during the forecast period, owing to growing pollution and genetic mutations of the upcoming generation. Pollution borne irritants such as smoke and strong odors, or changes in the temperature and humidity of the air are causing more frequent causes of rhinitis allergy.
Treatment – Segment Analysis
Anti-Allergy drugs hold the major share in the treatment segment of Allergy Treatment Market in 2019. Anti-allergy drugs have the advantage of self-usage and easier manufacturing processes of oral dosages, which help in the market growth of this segment. Use of antihistamines for chronic allergies and corticosteroids like prednisolone which can be injected or taken orally, has helped in gradual growth of anti-allergy drug market. Immunotherapy segmented has witnessed steady growth in recent years, owing to new launches of new sublingual immunotherapies in developing countries. Anti-Allergy drugs are forecasted to continue growing at the fastest rate with the highest CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025, owing to launch of new startups and various investments by key market players for antihistamines and decongestants.
Geography – Segment Analysis
North America dominates the geography segment of Allergy Treatment Market with a share of more than 39.5%, followed by Europe. In recent years, allergy cases in the United States have increased at an alarming rate. For instance, allergy from shellfish stands at 8.2 million, milk at 6.1 million and peanut at 6.1 million. This has attracted the attention of the healthcare department for rising need of state funded awareness programs. Rising number of allergy cases among the young age and old age people has further fuelled the Allergy Treatment market growth in this region.
Asia is estimated to grow at the fastest rate at a higher CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025. This is owing to development of proper healthcare infrastructure, growing prevalence of food allergies among the younger population and entry of key players into the healthcare sector with proper healthcare investments for allergy treatment.
Drivers – Allergy Treatment Market
- Growing cases of allergic disorders
More than half of the population in North America indicated that they had positive reactions to one or more allergens. Allergic rhinitis affects between 10 and 30 percent of all adults in the United States and as many as 40 percent of children. Sensitization caused by various aeroallergens like such as pollens and spores may lead to the risk of developing asthma. As such, it is required for the masses to be aware of such disorders and consult for proper medications. According to recent researches, over activeness of the immune system in allergic diseases and increased synthesis of pro-inflammatory mediators can increase the chances of cardiovascular diseases. Increasing awareness about these diseases are forecasted to drive the Allergy Treatment Market trends in the forecast period.
- Increasing demand for self-medication
There is a gradual demand for self-medication among the masses, owing to the advantage of getting quicker relief and economical treatment at the same time. Antihistamine nasal sprays work well for treating allergic rhinitis. They are only available with a prescription. Decongestants are medicines that help dry up a runny or stuffy nose. They come as pills, liquids, capsules, or nasal sprays. The gradual acceptance of these products have encouraged key players like Johnson & Johnson to launch new products for self service.
Challenges – Allergy Treatment Market
- Health concerns regarding side effects of allergy drugs
Drug allergy signs and symptoms may include skin rash, hives, itching, fever, swelling, shortness of breath, wheezing, running nose, itchy and watery eyes. These side effects often discourage allergic patients from using self-medication allergic drugs, which may hamper the growth of the market.
Allergy Treatment Market Outlook
Product launches, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the Allergy Treatment Market. In 2019, Allergy Treatment Market is consolidated by the top players present in the market. Allergy Treatment Market top 10 companies are Johnson & Johnson, Allergy Therapeutics plc, Allergon AB, Merck Kgaa, Alk-Abello A/S, Sanofi SA, Allergan Plc., Stallergenes Greer plc, Collegium Pharmaceutical, and Merck & Co. Inc. among others.
- In March 2019, Johnson & Johnson’s investigational antihistamine lens demonstrated positive Phase 3 results.
- In February 2017, Sanofi SA’s product Xyzal® Allergy 24HR was approved for Over-the-Counter (OTC) use in the United States.
- In September 2019, Alk-Abello A/S’s new tree SLIT-tablet, ITULAZAX®, was launched in Germany. Tree pollen allergy is highly prevalent in northern Europe, which made Germany a key market for the product.