Application Programming Interface (API) Testing Market size is forecast to reach $2.45 billion by 2025, estimated to grow at a CAGR of 18.4% during 2020-2025. With the growing demand for advanced API testing/tools/software and API testing services are significantly upgrading the growth of the API testing market. Moreover, the recent advancement in the technology such as artificial intelligence and machine learning process are further creating opportunities for API testing processes. In addition, the increasing dependency of organization on advanced testing tools due to the involvement of technology such as IoT, cloud, web services and so on are fueling the market growth during the forecast period.
- In 2019, the API Testing market was dominated by North America owing to the rising adoption agile practices for software development and increasing presence of API testing providers such as Oracle, IBM and so on.
- The rapid adoption of open API strategies by organizations is regarded as the major testing tool which is creating opportunities for the artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) that is ensuring quality and assured testing process.
- Increasing deployment of enhanced testing tools such as AI/ML (Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning) testing for optimization of testing processes in the organizations are surging the market growth
- The increasing challenges for the tester while tracking API inventory due to the presence of numerous amount of API is hampering the growth of the API testing market.
Component – Segment Analysis
API Testing Tools/Software segment held the largest market share in the API Testing market in 2019. The utilization of API testing tools/software are becoming the most important development for the programmers, as it results in providing functionality, performance, reliability, and security. The presence of hundreds of testing software in the market are providing enhanced opportunities for the developers to test APIs. The testing tools analyzes as many APIs the programmer may select collaborate on APIs with other teams. These increasing development of API testing tools/software are leading to enhance the growth of the market
Geography – Segment Analysis
In 2019, North America dominated the API Testing market with a share of more than 43.9%, followed by Europe and APAC. The increasing adoption of APIs in order to enhance the business processes in the US are significantly boosting the market in North America. Moreover, the presence of major key players in the US such as Oracle, IBM, CA Technologies and so on are propelling the growth of the market in this region.
Drivers – API Testing Market
- Rising adoption of open API by Organizations
The rapid deployment of technology in organizations has led to the formation of complex structure that requires the demand for enhanced API testing tool. The adoption of open API strategy is also creating new demand in testing and quality assurance teams and are leading to the adopting of AI-related skillsets. These new skillset include onboarding data science, statistics, mathematics that cannot be replaced. But will result in providing the advanced API testing to the organizations that will also lead to offer businesses with cost effective testing program.
- Demand for AI/ML (Artificial Intelligence/Machine learning)
The recent advancement in the AI/ML with the presence of large amount of data is providing new opportunities for applying AI/ML testing. Thus, the significant demand for AI/ML testing in organization is leading to the optimization of testing processes and further resulting in offering better test cases, test scripts, test data and reports. These advanced testing skill is also empowering the smart analytics and visualization that is supporting teams to detect faults and understand the test coverage and high risk areas. Thus, the significant importance of AI/ML testing for quality prediction, test case prioritization, fault classification and assignment in the upcoming years will further boost the API testing market.
Challenges – API Testing Market
- Challenges while API inventory tracking
The abundant involvement of APIs in an application act which are independent of each other results in hampering the API testing. Thus, the involvement of APIs results in arising number of challenges for the tester while performing API testing. It also makes difficult for the tester to keep up with the rapid updates that further impacts the overall application which hampers the API inventory tracking.
Technology launches, acquisitions and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the API Testing market. In 2019, the market of API Testing has been consolidated by the major players – Astegic, Axway, CA Technologies, Cigniti Technologies, IBM, Cygnet Infotech, Infosys, Inflectra Corporation, Micro Focus and LogiGear Corporation
- In 2019, FIS, major leader in financial services technology announced the launch of Code Connect application programming interface (API) gateway named as “Most Advanced API Strategy”. This new strategy provides rich and updated hub of APIs and application that uses cases by FIS clients in developing and testing new solutions.