Botnet Detection Market is forecast to reach $1.3 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR 38.4% from 2020 to 2025. Botnet detection is a standalone, technology-based security solution for machine learning and fingerprinting that detects and mitigates bad bots before they can harm a company’s websites, mobile apps or APIs. The main types of attacks performed by bots include web scraping, Denial of Service (DoS) application, skewed examination, account acquisition, spam forming, gift card cracking, ad fraud and payment fraud. Botnet detection has attracted widespread attention among cybersecurity professionals and the worldwide technology companies. The botnet is a network of connected devices over public internet, typically made up of compromised workstations and servers that are infected by a range of malicious or malware. As technology progresses around the globe, the risk associated with the misuse of advanced technology has also risen over the past few years. Botnet attack is one such breach of the user’s privacy, in which a third party monitors and controls a user’s computer. The botnet has grown as one of the biggest challenges due to the increasing capacity of cyber criminals to infiltrate all of the devices attached to the internet worldwide. Because of the increase of bot-attacks organizations are deploying solutions for botnet detection to protect against advanced persistent bots. Using botnet detection solutions, it is estimated that public and private organizations can accurately detect and categorize bot types, bot traffic, and their sources. Therefore the need for security against bad bot traffic is increasing, leads to create potential for Bot Detection market across the globe. The market’s major drivers include a growing need for security against bad bot traffic, growing numbers of smartphone users and increasing APT adoption.
- Owing to the growing capacity of cyber criminals to infiltrate all the devices attached to the internet worldwide, the botnet has emerged as one of the biggest challenges. The major drivers on the market include a rising need for protection against bad bot traffic, increasing numbers of smartphone users and increasing adoption of APT.
- When more applications are distributed across the cloud, there is a move from conventional on-premises botnet detection solutions to cloud-based botnet detection solutions across large organizations and SMEs. That’s anticipated to fuel Botnet Detection’s market growth.
- The media and entertainment companies have realized the need for botnet detection solutions to protect and defend their databases, apps, and websites with digitalization and proliferation. Owing to the growing acceptability, the online media and entertainment industry is expanding at a high pace and is primarily driven by digital media.
- Throughout the forecast period North America is projected to dominate the market for botnet detection. Increasing adoption of cloud and IoT technologies along with connected devices such as smartphones that run a constant threat of botnet attacks are the major factors that influence the market in this region.
By Deployment Mode – Segment Analysis
During the forecast period the Cloud Based segment is expected to grow at a CAGR 45.3%. Cloud-based deployment benefits organizations with higher scalability, speed, 24/7 service and increased IT security. Demand for cloud-based botnet detection solutions is growing rapidly, as the central delivery model meets the security standards. There is a shift from traditional on-premises botnet detection solutions to cloud-based botnet detection solutions across large enterprises and SMEs as more apps are deployed over the cloud. This is expected to boost the market growth of Botnet Detection.
By End-User – Segment Analysis
The Media and Entertainment segment is expected to grow at a higher CAGR 44.7% during the forecast period. Media & entertainment businesses are spending a significant share on advertisements to build brand awareness and attract new customers. Throughout the media & entertainment sectors, botnet detection strategies are often applied to reduce vulnerabilities to advertising. This sector is expected to rise the fastest, due to the growing bot attacks by ad frauds in this sector. Botnet attacks carry out illegal activities such as spreading fraudulent content, price scraping, and others that affect the brand due to which advertisers are constantly monitoring networks and servers to detect any unusual traffic patterns, assessing the reason for declining sales performance, and so on. The media and entertainment companies have realized the need for botnet detection solutions to protect and defend their databases, apps, and websites with digitalization and proliferation. Owing to the growing acceptability, the online media and entertainment industry is expanding at a high pace and is primarily driven by digital media.
By Geography – Segment Analysis
North America currently dominates the global Botnet Detection market with a share of more than 40%. The United States and Canada have a strong focus on research and development (R&D) and technology innovations. Due to growing investments in botnet detection solutions to secure websites, APIs, and mobile apps from bot attacks, the region is projected to be the largest revenue-generating region in the global market. For countries in these regions, the growing threat of the harm that can be done by botnets across the government is boosting demand. The United States Department of Defense (DoD) for instance has made a serious note of the rapid spread of malware impacting private networks and government operations and has demanded advanced methods of automation to combat the attacks. It is due to the growing consciousness among the population about data privacy that is expected to stimulate demand for botnet detection solutions across North America. In addition, increasingly strict data privacy regulations by the government are expected to substantially promote market growth in future years
Drivers – Botnet Detection Market
- Increasing Botnet Attacks
Because of the increase in bot-attacks organizations, botnet detection solutions are introduced to defend against advanced persistent bots. It is estimated that public and private organizations can accurately detect and categorize bot types, bot traffic and their sources with the use of botnet detection solutions. It also helps to reduce server loads and the cost of bandwidth; and enhances user experience across their websites. For example , in July 2018, a group of hackers allegedly compromised about 18,000 Huawei routers which were further established by security firms, Qihoo, 360 Netlab and Rapid7.
- Increased Use of Internet
Usage of the internet has increased with the introduction of cloud and IoT technologies. Each enterprise today, whether governmental or commercial, depends on the Internet and computer networks to share data. Additionally, with the increasing adoption of IoT, the number of web-connected devices is rising where most devices have little or no security features. Both large and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) follow botnet detection strategies, as each enterprise seeks to protect the confidential information from being stolen or lost from cyber attacks and frauds. This will help to boost Botnet Detection market growth.
Challenges – Botnet Detection Market
- Lack of awareness about the latest botnet detection techniques
Lack of awareness about the latest botnet detection techniques is a major challenge facing the botnet detection market. The majority of companies still use traditional botnet strategies, while the frequency and sophistication of threats has gradually increased, increasing the need for equally complex detection systems. This is expected to hinder the market growth of Botnet Detection.
Technology launches, acquisitions, and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in Botnet Detection Market. Botnet Detection Market is expected to be dominated by major companies such as Akamai Technologies, Imperva, Distil Networks, Perimeterx, Instart Logic, Intechnica, Zenedge (Oracle), White OPS. Shieldsquare, Kasada, Reblaze, Infisecure, Unbotify, Digital Hands, Integral AD Science, Shape Security, Unfraud, Pixalate, Appsflyer, Variti, Mfilterit, Criticalblue, Datadome, Stealth Security and White Diagnostic among others.
- In June 2020, Guardicore Labs, launched the Botnet Encyclopedia. Guardicore’s Botnet Encyclopedia provides a continuously updated universal knowledge base of past and present botnet campaigns researched by the Labs team-many of which were previously unknown to the cybersecurity community-showcasing the greatest threats to corporate security at a single, open location.
- In Aug 2018, Imperva Inc. acquired a leader in Runtime Application Self-Protection, Prevoty Inc., to strengthen its market position, particularly in cybersecurity solutions.