Chlorine Sensors Market size was valued at $874.11 million in 2019, and it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 7.90% during 2020-2025. The growing demand for Chlorine Sensorss from industries such as pharmaceutical, water utilities, power generation, oil and gas and others with increasing investments coupled with government regulations have been escalating the market growth.
- North America had dominated the Chlorine Sensors market in 2019 owing to early adoption of advanced technologies and high investments in adopting them.
- Acquisitions and partnerships of the companies had helped the companies in developing new and advanced products and this is poised to boost the chlorine sensor market.
- Total chlorine sensor had dominated the market in 2019 owing to its high adoption in water treatment applications.
- Maintenance is the one of the major challenge that hampers the growth of the market.
Type – Segment Analysis
Total Chlorine Sensors held the major share 42.31% in Chlorine Sensors market. Total chlorine sensors are majorly used in waste water treatment plants to measure the effluent water’s disinfection status. These type of sensors are also used in conjunction with the measurement of free chlorine in order to measure the amount of combined chlorine in swimming pool water. Increasing government activities for waste water treatment and adoption of total chlorine sensors in various industries drive the market growth.
End User – Segment Analysis
Pharmaceutical is the fastest growing segment in Chlorine Sensors market and estimated to grow at a CAGR of 10.70%. Water is one of the main materials utilized by the pharmaceutical industry, and is the most commonly utilized raw material in pharmaceutical drug manufacturing sector. Consequently the growth of pharmaceutical industry leverages a positive impact on the chlorine sensor market growth. Water can be utilized as a reagent, ingredient, or means of transportation in the pharmaceutical industry. There are also formulations of which water is part of the product’s formulation, such as injectable, eye drops, ophthalmic solutions, syrups and suspensions, rendering it important that the consistency follows the requirements of usage. Furthermore, stringent regulations in pharmaceutical and evolution of global pandemic diseases create opportunities for the market growth during forecast period.
Geography- Segment Analysis
North America dominated the Chlorine Sensors market in 2019 with a share of 36.08%, followed by Europe and APAC. High and early adoption of advanced technologies is set to boost the market growth. The strong financial position allows it to invest heavily in the adoption of latest tools and technologies for ensuring effective business operations. Many of the major players such as Emerson, Hach, H2Tronics, Sensorex, and others are headquartered in North America region which set to drive the Chlorine Sensors market. There are approximately 14,748 waste water treatment facilities in the U.S. High adoption of chlorine sensors for water treatment facilities drive the market growth in this region.
Drivers –Chlorine Sensors Market
- Stringent Government Regulations
- Disinfecting water required for various purposes to ensure public health and technological advancements
Challenges – Chlorine Sensors Market
- Maintenance is the major challenge
Most of the chlorine sensors require frequent calibration, maintenance and require constant flow, pressure and pH to maintain their calibrations. Amperometric based technology chlorine sensors usually require elaborate pressure and flow control. In addition, recalibration of the membrane sensor is necessary if stretching or pressure spikes occur in the system. Membrane sensors also require frequent calibration, in some cases weekly or even daily due to changing conditions. They are also subject to the loss of electrolyte as it diffuses through the membrane. Membranes must also be frequently replaced, often quarterly. However, development of sensors with advanced technologies create opportunities for the market growth.
Product Launches, acquisitions and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the Chlorine Sensors market. Chlorine Sensors top 10 companies include Emerson, Endress+Hauser, Hach (Danaher), Xylem Analytics, Veolia, ABB, Sensorex (Halma), Thermo Fisher, ProMinent, SB Control and among others.
- In December 2019, Endress + Hauser had acquired Memosens CCS51D free chlorine sensor. This sensor is developed majorly for water treatment application. This increases the Company’s chlorine sensor market share.
- In November 2019, Hach had launched chlorine sensor for the water management application. Development of advanced products for various applications is set to drive the market share of the company.