The Global market for digital power management IC is forecast to reach $34.2 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 4.7% from 2020 to 2025. The market growth is attributed to the factors such as growing digitization, enhancements in semiconductor technology, and others. Moreover, growing applications in different end user verticals including consumer electronics, automotive, healthcare and others boosts the market growth.
- A significant factor driving the digital power management IC industry in the communication field is the advent in wireless networking, together with its tools and appliances. Rising demand for wired and wireless links and their increasing industrial implementations are also driving technology developments, while also creating space for digital power management ICs.
- Increasing demand for energy storage technology coupled with technical advancements is also boosting digital power management IC demand over the forecast period 2020-2025.
By Application Type- Segment Analysis
DC-DC converters (Switching regulators) segment held the highest market share of digital power management IC in 2019. Moreover, it is anticipated to witness the significant market growth during the forecast period 2020-2025. Market development is attributed to growing demands for power management like high voltage technologies, coupled with high reliability and robustness for industrial and automotive applications, compactness and high performance for consumer applications. These switched-mode power supply systems provide a full range of defensive features (overcurrent, overvoltage, over-temperature) to maximize the mean time between failures (MTBF) and minimize the amount of external components required to transform the electricity. Various product alternatives are available in the market, all of which provide compactness and good thermal efficiency to support specific applications.
By End User Type- Segment Analysis
Digital power management IC market is segmented into Consumer Electronics, Automotive, IT & Telecommunication, Healthcare, Industrial, Power & Energy, Aerospace & Defence, others on the basis of end user type. Consumer Electronics segment is anticipated to witness the significant market growth during the forecast period 2020-2025. The market growth is due to advances in power semiconductor devices and high voltage integrated circuits. The key requirements for good efficiency, lightweight, reduced scale, and heat dissipation in the digital power management environment is fulfilled by application-specific power MOS systems along with controller ICs and high voltage ICs. Advances in semi-conductor interface technology have stimulated the production of several tiny and light electronic devices. These smaller, lighter, and feature-rich compact products have found widespread usage, especially in computing and telecommunications applications. For instance, these items include laptop computers, PCS and Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs). Whilst digital devices operated by batteries continue to grow in technology, their power usage has risen dramatically in terms of efficiency and miniaturisation. Therefore power control has been of utmost importance for optimizing battery capacity, prolonging the activity of the device and rising heat dissipation.
Geography – Segment Analysis
North America region held the highest market share and is anticipated to have the significant market growth during the forecast period 2020-2025. The market growth is owing to technological developments, presence of developed countries and key manufacturers in this region. Moreover growing consumer electronics, automotive and other segments in this region is dominating the digital power management IC market. Furthermore, Semiconductor devices are currently one of the fastest growing segments of the electronics industry. Innovative semiconductor technologies have allowed growing demands for device power management and are used to provide cost-effective system solutions. In September 2019, Silvaco entered into a partnership with HDL Design House for Analog and Digital IC Design Services and full turn-key strategies for fabless semiconductor businesses around the globe. In September 2018, Microsoft entered into a partnership with German utility E.ON to develop a smart home platform to manage everything in a house that runs on electricity from washing machines to HVAC thermostats to the charging stations for electric cars. This leads to increase in demand for power management ICs. Consequently, such partnership and product launches propels the market growth.
Drivers – Digital power management IC market
- Growing demand from automotive vertical
Due to emerging technologies, such as vehicle automation, the market is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. For an optimal operation, automobiles need dedicated semiconductor material to provide reliable details to the built-in artificial intelligence.
Challenges – Digital power management IC market
- Complexity in integration process
Due to the requirement of robust methodologies and implementing toolsets, complex integration processes for multi-power domain SOCs (System on a chip) will restrain market growth during the forecast period 2020-2025.
Partnerships and acquisitions along with product launches are the key strategies adopted by the players in the digital power management IC market. As of 2019, the market for digital power management IC market is consolidated with the top players including STMicroelectronics N.V., Texas Instruments Inc., Maxim Integrated Products, Inc., Renesas Electronics Corp., Analog Devices, Inc., Dialog Semiconductor Plc., NXP Semiconductors, On Semiconductor Corporation, Qualcomm, Inc., Linear Technology Corporation and among others.
- In December 2019, Integrated Device Technology, Inc. (IDT), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Renesas Electronics Corporation, launched the industry’s first integrated power management IC (PMIC) designed for lightweight, un-buffered, DDR5-based dual in-line memory (DIMM) modules that support a wide variety of laptop, mobile and embedded computing platforms.
- In July 2018, SiFive has partnered with Chipus Microelectronics, a semiconductor group with established experience in designing integrated circuits that are ultra-low-power (ULP), low-voltage, analog and mixed-signal, to the increasing DesignShare ecosystem. Chipus offers ULP IP for power storage, and ULP RF Front-Ends through the alliance.