The Global RF GAN Market is estimated to reach $1.9 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 14.2% from 2020 to 2025. In a practically sized transistor higher current and voltage density produces higher RF power. The RF power is the product of voltage and current swings. The introduction of GAN in RF has resulted in much higher power density. This is used in complex applications like phased arrays, radar, base receiver stations for 5G, cable TV and others. The ever increasing demand for power density, reliability, and adoption within the newest generation of 4G LTE base stations have significantly propelled the significant growth of the market.
- Rise in adoption of RF GAN devices for their high power, frequency and other efficient factors in the applications of defense, aerospace, telecommunications are driving the growth of the market.
- RF GAN in SiC is witnessing significant growth in the market as it is replacing other technologies due to its performance and bandwidth along with high frequency.
- APAC is expected to dominate the global RF GAN Market in the forecast period 2020-2025. The adoption of RF GAN in wireless infrastructure driven by the growth of LTE networks in countries for instance China, India and other countries are boosting the RF GAN market in this region.
RF GAN Market Segment Analysis – By Type
By Type RF GAN Market is segmented as GAN on SiC, GAN on silicon, GAN on diamond. The GAN on SiC segment is witnessing significant growth in the market owing to its high voltage and current capabilities. The RF GAN on SiC is widely used in defense applications due to its performance. It is also widely used in telecommunication base stations (3G, 4G WiMAX). Owing to the high thermal conductivity of GAN on SiC many devices run at much higher voltage and higher power density which is positively enhancing the market growth. The GAN on SiC has a wide band gap owing to which it is widely used in semiconductor materials and allows to operate the devices at much higher voltages, frequencies and temperatures. These factors are boosting the growth of the market.
RF GAN Market Segment Analysis – By Application
By application the market is segmented into Aerospace, Military and Defense, IT and Telecommunications, Wireless Infrastructure and Others. IT and Telecommunications segment is witnessing significant growth in the market owing to its adoption in 4G LTE basestations along with ongoing 5G wireless infrastructure deployment in the developing countries. Furthermore, rising demand of 5G is also aiding the growth of the market. The demand for high frequency bands along with requirements of more bandwidth for meeting 5G technology needs for future are expected to drive the market growth. The GAN on SiC solutions offers faster switching speed and creates much broader bandwidth over increasing density of small cells. These factors are dominating the growth of the market.
RF GAN Market Segment Analysis – Geography
Global RF GAN Market is dominated by APAC region by a market share 36.4% in 2019. The rising technological advancements in 5G cellular networks along with surge in adoption of RF electronics products in the applications of Aerospace and defense industries are driving the growth of the market in this region. China is aiming to become the global leader in next generation telecom technology. Owing to this vision the country offers 5G next generation cellular technology with download speed 10 to 100 times faster than the current 4G LTE networks. Shanghai activated 11,859 5G base stations in the mid of October 2019. This supported 5G network in this region.
RF GAN Market Drivers
- Rise in the growth of 5G cellular Technologies:
The rise in 5G cellular base stations is driving the growth of the market. The need for higher bandwidth, high frequency and high power for establishment of high speed 5G cellular networks have led the growth of the market. The high power RF GAN devices amplify the signal to avoid signal distortion. The Gallium nitride (GaN) high electron mobility transistors (HEMTs) have inherent high breakdown voltage, high power density, large bandwidth and high efficiency which provides the best solution for 5G cellular base stations. Furthermore, the large amount of available bandwidth are supporting high data rate applications such as 4K/8K video streaming as well as augmented reality and virtual reality applications. According to Gov.UK, seven 5G research and development projects across UK were funded with $35 million in 2019. In India 88 million 5G connections are anticipated by 2025.
- Growth in use of Internet and wireless technologies:
The availability of high speed internet has made wireless communication possible. Through the availability of high speed internet people can use broadband connections. Online streaming through games, videos, and audio and music systems are all possible owing to the availability of high speed internet. Cellular basestations are required for transmission of data and network connectivity. Owing to the technological advancements various cellular basestations are build up globally. Furthermore, with a vision of internet availability in all the places throughout the globe many projects and funding are done for the building up of new cellular basestations. Furthermore, the growth and adoption of wireless technologies have also boosted the market growth due to the requirement of high power, frequency and reliability devices. These factors are all driving the growth of the market.
RF GAN Market Challenges
- Technological Challenges:
Although there are many advantages of RF GAN devices like high power, frequency and other advantages there are some technological challenges of RF GAN devices. There is difficulty in growing GAN epitaxial films. During the manufacturing of native GAN substrate another substrate for heteroepitaxial growth is required. At the time of manufacturing the choice of substrate material becomes very crucial as the material may not have high thermal conductivity and can also undergo lattice mismatch with GaN. These are major challenges.
RF GAN Market Landscape
Service Technology launches, acquisitions, and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the RF GAN Market are given in this report. RF GAN Market is dominated by major companies such as Saint-Gobain Lumilog, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, Kyma Technologies Inc., NGK Insulators, Ltd., SOITEC, EPIGAN NV, NTT Advanced Technology Corporation, Xaimen Powerway Advanced Material Co., Ltd., Texas Instruments, Inc. among others.
- January 28, 2020- Qorvo launched high performance wideband power amplifier (PA). The product name is TGA 2962 and it is used for electronic warfare, radar and test applications.
- October 29, 2018- Texas Instruments had launched a new portfolio of 600-V GaN (gallium nitride) FET, 50 and 70 ohm power stages to support applications of 10 Kw. The LMG341X family help designers to create smaller, more efficient and high performance designs compared to silicon field effect transistors used in robotics, electronics applications and others.
- May 8, 2017- Soraa had launched Soraa Arc, as an expansion in the directional luminaries market. This is based on LED technology which offers a combination of perfect light along with optimized superior thermal management.