The Tappet Market is forecast to reach $ 10 billion by 2025 growing at a CAGR of 3.64% during the forecast period 2020-2025. The growth of the Tappet Market can be attributed to the growth in passenger vehicles production coupled with rising demand for high performance vehicles. Increasing demand from the construction and mining sectors are also poised to aid the global tappet market growth. Furthermore, growing disposable income is contributing to the growth of the tappet market. Moreover, a growing automotive industry across the world and advancement in the tappet such as the introduction of Machined Tappets are projected to create various growth opportunities to the tappet market during the forecast period.
- Roller tappets are estimated to be the fastest growing segment of the global market during the forecast period 2020-2025. The growing trend of engine downsizing without compromising the performance of the engine is driving the market for roller tappets.
- Luxury passenger cars are estimated to be the fastest growing segment of the market, by end user type. The growth of this segment can be attributed to the rising purchasing power and demand for more powerful vehicles, particularly in the emerging economies.
- The Asia-Pacific region is estimated to dominate the global tappet market with the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
- Increasing adoption of electric vehicles may hamper the growth of the Tappet Market owing to stringent emission regulations set by governments of various countries.
Product Type – Segment Analysis
Hydraulic Tappets has been analyzed to attribute to the majority of shares in the global tappet market during the forecast period 2020-2025. The rising focus of OEM manufactures towards high output power and efficiency of cars has led to the higher adoption of hydraulic tappets in automobile like the Hydraulic Flat Tapper Camshaft (HFTC), a camshaft used in the high-performance vehicles. For instance, revenue in the Sports Cars market segment amounts to US$16,707m in 2019 in U.S alone. Hydraulic tappets are being increasingly utilized in diesel engines owing to their smooth and quiet working.
By Engine Capacity – Segment Analysis
On the basis of engine capacity, the 4-6 Cylinders engine segment dominates the global tappet market with the highest CAGR of 8.2% during the forecast period 2020-2025. Stringent emission regulations in several regions and the demand for high-performance vehicles with the smaller engine are the major factors driving the growth of the 4–6 cylinders segment. Moreover, the market growth is driven by an increase in passenger vehicles and commercial vehicle production which can be attributed to the improving business environment for fleet operators. Rise in demand for compact and mid-size vehicles in developing countries such as India, China, Japan and Brazil is projected to expand the 4-6 cylinder segment of the tappet market during the forecast period.
Geography – Segment Analysis
Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the global tappet market with the highest market share of 34% during the forecast period 2020-2025. The growing automotive industry and the presence of large manufactures of the automobile are the factors supporting the growth of tappet market particularly in countries like China and India. The demand for automotive tappets is directly linked to the vehicle production and consumer demand in this region. For Instance, in 2018, more than 47 million passenger cars were sold within the Asia Pacific region. Among the region, China is the biggest market with about 23.71 million cars sold in 2018.
Drivers –Tappet Market.
- Increasing demand for high performances vehicles to boost the Tappet Market.
Major factor attributing to growth of the market is increasing demand for the racing cars and high performance cars such as BMW, Audi, and Volkswagen. For instance, the total number of BMW car sold in 2018, was 2.12 million units worldwide. These high performance automobiles and racing cars find substantial application of VVT technology. It enhances the performance through variation in the valve timings and changing the duration of the valves when the engine is in operation. Incorporation of VVT and lift electronic control (VTEC), which is an advanced vehicle technology, allows integration of multiple camshafts through electronic or mechanical linking systems. This in turn also enhances the efficiency of the engines and performance through increasing the Revolutions per Minute (RPM). Increasing adoption of VTEC or VVT is expected to drive growth of the automotive tappets market over the forecast period, owing to its applications in camshafts.
- Technological advancements to aid the growth of tappet market.
The number of tappets are relative to the number of cylinders and the rise in demand for high power engines such as V-6, V-8 is boosting the usage of tappets in an engine. Expansion of the economy and increase in disposable income have propelled the high-speed engine vehicles market, which in turn is boosting the tappet market. Automakers have developed advanced valve technology such as Variable Valve Timing (VVT) by Toyota, VTech by Honda and MIVEC by Mitsubishi in order to maintain fuel economy of vehicles. The tappets are controlled by the ECU in order to vary the valve time and to delay or hold the valve function, which leads to proper combustion in the cylinder, thus minimizing emission and achieving fuel efficiency. Hydraulic tappets run quieter, operate effectively, and maintain valve clearance. The self-adjusting tappet technology and design to maintain optimal valve clearance is to hold the future market interest.
Challenges – Tappet Market.
- Rising popularity of electric and hybrid vehicles to create hurdles for the Tappet Market.
The increasing demand for electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles is one of the major factor restraining the growth of the automotive tappet market. Electric vehicles offer great potential to significantly reduce air pollution, greenhouse gas, and other hazardous gas emissions. These electric vehicles do not require assembly of valves and tappet to enhance its engine performance. Electric and hybrid vehicles are witnessing high consumer demand, owing to reduction in environmental pollution and enhanced vehicle efficiency. According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), around 600 million electric vehicles will be on roads worldwide by 2040.
Mergers and acquisitions along with investments are the key strategies adopted by the players in the Tappet Market. The top ten Players in the Tappet Market includes Eaton Corporation, NSK Ltd., Schaeffler AG, Federal-Mogul LLC., Rane Engine Valve Limited, Otics Operation, AC Delco, TRW, Competition Cams, Inc., and Lunati.
Expansions/ Acquisitions / Collaborations / R&D activities
- In October 2018, Schaeffler India Ltd announced the completion of the merger of INA Bearings India Private Limited (“INA India”) and LuK India Private Limited (“LuK India”) with Schaeffler India Limited. Furthermore, Schaeffler inaugurated a new production hall at its state-of-the-art facility in Pune with an investment of 25 million euros. The new production facility will boost local manufacturing capabilities of Schaeffler group in India. It will manufacture engine and transmission components, serving the domestic and export markets.
- In October 2018, Schaeffler announced its plan to invest €120 million (Rs 1,000 crore) in its Indian operations over the next three years, as it aims to more than double its business in India to over €1 billion, or Rs 8,300 crore, in the next five years.